Friday, September 25, 2009

Rounding Out Round Six

Last November we made a decision to put Rosalie on a low-dose regimen of chemotherapy (namely Temodar) in conjunction with Accutane. Her oncologist wanted to shoot for six 42-day rounds. We were unsure how she would tolerate the meds, so we knew that we might need to stop before round six.

In fact, Rosalie has handled each round remarkably well. She has never been neutropenic or even nauseous. The most noticeable side effect has come from the Accutane. She is very dry - chapped lips, eczema on the arms, dry eyes, peeling skin on the hands and ears. But my goodness, I can officially say that she did not need to be admitted to the hospital for the entire course of this treatment. At first the doctors made us come to the ER any time she had a fever - but by the middle of this treatment we talked the doctors out of making us come in. She was SO far from being neutropenic and she had no central line, so her risk of sepsis was not what it had been when she was on full-blown chemo. I just came to realize that the only place Rosalie needed to be when she had a fever was home.

Tonight Rosalie will complete round six. She is very happy about this. She has learned to swallow pills with ease, but she's getting tired of it. "How many more days of medicine?" she often asks.

I know that medication is probably in the cards for the rest of Rosalie's life. Because of the radiation she received to the brain she will most likely need thyroid and growth hormone replacement. But I know that those pills will be easier emotionally. I won't have to explain that they are to make sure the cancer stays away. I will simply have to explain that those pills will help her live a normal life. I hate having to give Rosy chemo.

For now, it is our deepest prayer that Rosalie has been cured. Please join us in sending all your best energy her way. May she lead a long and beautiful life.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy about this GREAT news and miss you guy so very much. We will have to make it a priority to come visit all of you guys soon.

With much love,
Uncle Kenny & Aunt Rebecca

Unknown said...

So happy to hear that Rosalie made it beautifully.
Waiting for more good news from you.
Love,
Catherine B

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Rosalie!!! Way to go. So glad the chemo is winding down and I hope for nothing but good health and happiness ahead!

Keri Magee

Tara Faler said...

I am sooooo happy to hear this wonderful news!! And Happy Belated Birthday Rosalie... hope you ate lots of that yummy cake!!!! Always in our thoughts and prayers.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/khloeebella

Anonymous said...

Five whole years old! My gosh, when I think about her 2nd birthday - when we were all at the Alford Lake 100th and winging thoughts into the ether for you - it blows my mind to think of how amazing you Reibels are and how far Rosy has come. We'll keep sending our deepest prayers your way, too. All love,Elisabeth

Anonymous said...

I'm very happy to read that she is making it nicely with the treatment!! I always send my prayers to her and to you all! Love, Chiara

Unknown said...

We are elated to read this fabulous news! xoxo Jenn & Rob

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and a big high-five happy birthday to Rosalie! So thrilled for all of you!
We send you love from Paris,
Aimee and co

Unknown said...

That is fabulous Carolyn! We think of you guys often.
Love,
Tara and Charlie

Terry & Marion said...

Way to go Rosie!

See you soon.

Val said...

Wonderful, wonderful news!! Glad things are going well and a happy belated birthday to Rosie! Love the cake and yoga!