A guest blog by Jonathan Struthers, Tessa Melvin, and Judie Robbins
______________________________________
Sunday, October 29, 2006
The last time I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge was on a cold December evening returning from work. There was a subway strike and thousands of New Yorkers changed their morning and evening commuting rituals, put on their running shoes, and carried on.
This past Sunday, I had a different walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. A walk to express my compassion and concern for Rosalie and admiration for Carolyn and Mark for how they carry on.
And I was not alone. I was joined by a team of at least forty other people, many I hadn't seen for twenty years, and some I had just met. I am hoping the stories and pictures from the Brooklyn Bridge Walk will convey to Carolyn and Mark the outpouring of goodwill there is for them and for all they are doing to pull Rosalie through her treatment on the path to recovery. There is truly a Team Rosalie and its ranks are diverse and continuing to grow.
----Jonathan Struthers
_________________________________________
Walk Memories
by Tessa Melvin and Judie Robbins
Picking up Judie Robbins, (size 2) at her apartment building overlooking the
Hudson River where fifty mile winds are creating endless rows of whitecaps. --
"Mrs. Robbins, you can't walk across the Brooklyn Bridge,"the incredulous
doorman says. "You'll be blown away!"
Arriving at the seaport to find the wind has mysteriously died down, the sun
is high, and Hastings is meeting Onteora, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Brooklyn under the "We Love You Rosalie" banner.
As our massive crowd of walkers and baby strollers begins moving slowly
toward the bridge, we pass bagpipers in full regalia piping us along.
Walking across the bridge, Jane Cameron wonders if I can tell her the nature
of the radiation Rosalie is getting. As I fumble to explain, a young man in
front of us whose head is shaved and who is wearing a "Jeff Gerth Team" sign
turns around and says, "It's gamma knifepoint. I'm getting it six days a week - except for Sundays, so here I am."
Some walkers got across the bridge their own way. Judie Robbins skipped
across with Ellie Struthers, who much preferred skipping to being in the
stroller. --
No comments:
Post a Comment