Thursday, March 22, 2007

One Step at a Time




We have a few Dr. Perry-isms in our home (Dr. Perry is Rosalie's neurosurgeon), one if them is, "One step at a time." He said this several times in the days leading up to Rosalie's surgery. It really is sound advice and I find myself reminding myself of this motto again and again.

I thought you might like to see a photo of Rosalie with her physical therapist, Elaine Westlake. As you know, Rosalie cannot stand on her own yet, so walking is a long ways off. But she practices walking with a little help from her friends. Here she is with weights on her feet to help her put her feet down on the ground (instead of sticking them into space) and the "dress-up" clothes she is wearing aid the core of her body. She is also wearing AFOs (ankle-foot orthotics) which keep her feet sturdy and prevent rolling. I am fascinated by the number of motor functions that need to work in concert to be able to walk. The human body is an amazing machine. I hope I never take it for granted.

I hope to take more photos of Rosalie with her therapists (OT, Speech, PT) in the upcoming weeks. All Rosalie's therapists have been fantastic. We have been so impressed.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo Looking GOOD!!!!

Rosie is constantly improving -- just look at your posts a couple of months ago. I can't wait until Rosie is running around again. Glad to see she is on the road there already.

Hugs,
Casey

Anonymous said...

Wow, she's getting tall. Rosey is never far from my thoughts and I'm am constantly amazed at not only Rosey's strength but yours and Markys as well. Without a doubt, it will be beaten and the entire family will get to do all the incredible things families are supposed to do in this world. I love you all and will be out to see you soon..... Uncle Paul

Anonymous said...

Carolyn and Mark--
I echo what Casey said. Going back and reading your posts from only a few months ago(!), it's really inspiring to see all the pretty progress she's made. That's a special little girl you've got...

Happy sunny Friday, by the way!

xoxo-Maryetta

Anonymous said...

(all the progress--not pretty progress. hit publish instead of edit... xoxo-m)

Sarah said...

Rosalie's SO strong and I'm SO impressed with her progress. It's good to hear about her therapists and always awesome to see her cuteness :)

Love,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hooray, hooray!! She looks great. One step at time, one day at time, we all should learn it and practice it more. She has come so far in a relatively short time...at the rate she is going we can expect great things in the months to comes, each step of the way is a new adventure that will get us closer to the goal. You are all an amazing family. So lucky to be able to share this with you. Dinorah

fibby said...

That look of determination on her face says it all. She is so strong! (also, I LOVE the necklace!)

Just saw Lani at a conference this past weekend and she sends her love and lots of hugs.

I'm sending a few too...

Phoebe :-)

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, I work with Harvey who told me about Rosalie. She is absolutely adorable! Like what has been said in the previous comments, Rosalie is definitely doing an impressive job. Great job Rosalie!

She is without a doubt one strong girl and you and your family are doing a wonderful job being strong with her. Absolutely inspiring.

You will all be in our prayers moving forward.

Ken Carvajal & Family