Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Spring


Walking to Olivia's Birthday Party in Bernal Heights

Sebastopol Farmers' Market

Cheese!

Having fun at Safeway :)


I am sorry if we haven't been posting frequently. I was reading another brain tumor survivor's blog who noted that it feels funny to post about everyday life. But here goes . . .

Rosalie and Susannah are best buddies. We are so happy that they have one another to share this special time in life.

As you can see from the photos, Rosalie uses a reverse walker when she can. She is not independent in it. She can walk by herself when the wheels are locked in place, but cannot use it when the wheels are in "swirly whirly," as we call it. I have seen some children who use these walkers in the clinic and they are completely independent. Our hope, of course, is that Rosalie will walk without a walker one day. Our doctors and therapists encourage us that this is a realistic goal for Rosy.

The other day we received a note from Rosalie's preschool teacher Ashley that said she did a great job at show and tell. She called on the students who had their hands raised, and answered their questions. In the monthly bulletin they have a section called "What the Kids are Saying," which highlights a few kids-say-the-darndest-things type quotations. This month Rosalie was quoted, "I did it!" This is a big step for Rosalie. She has been very shy at preschool and really only communicates with the teachers. So we are happy to hear that she is interacting with her peers more.

Levi, our puppy, is a cute addition to the family. So many people had told me that having a puppy is like having an infant. But I beg to differ. Puppies can already walk, they are so easy to potty train, and they sleep through the night! Yes, Levi is playful and demands a lot of attention - but nothing like a human baby :) It is cute to see how the girls interact with him. Susannah is a total natural - she gets right in there and snuggles and plays with him. Rosalie is more like me, not really sure what to do with a dog. But she likes to play fetch with him and is very proud of herself when she does: "Look mom, I am playing with Levi!"

We will head to the East Coast at the end of June. And we are SO looking forward to seeing many people who we haven't seen for over two years!

Rosy's next scan is on June 24. So we just pray and pray that this MRI will again be CLEAR!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

An east coast trip? I'll travel to anywhere on the Eastern Seaboard for a drive by wave and hug!! What did Rosy bring to Show and Tell? This is such encouraging news! Love you guys, Elisabeth Snell.

Sarah Woulfin said...

It's nice to see the girls enjoying their spring and awesome to hear about your fun summer plans! Love,
Sarah

Rosalie Reibel said...

Lis-

For show and tell I brought a picture of me in our hot tub. This was my idea. Mom suggested a picture of me at Disneyworld and then I said, "How about me in my hot tub."

One of the things I like best about the hot tub is that this is where I perform my "shows." I like to stand on the corner "stage" and tell stories or sing a song (like Ring Around the Rosie, for instance).

I would love to meet you, Lis!!!

Maybe in Brooklyn where my cousins live??

XOXO,
Rosy

Anonymous said...

Carol -- every day life sounds and looks good. Very nice to see and hear it! Will of course keep the fingers and toes crossed for the next scan.

Happy June!

Debra said...

I LOVE the happy, day-to-day, "nothing serious to report here" posts!! Keep 'em coming. I'll keep sending positive energy my way for another clean scan. Yeah, Reibel family!