Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Another Round Completed

Here is an article for over-achievers:
Insurance Lags as Cancer Comes in a Pill
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/business/15pill.html?_r=1&hp

Rosalie completed another 42 day round of Temodar and Accutane. She is enjoying two weeks with no medication. We are too. She's been tolerating the medicine well, but I do feel that it makes her fatigued. And I know I have mentioned how dry her skin gets.

The above article was in the NYT today. It highlights Temodar as an oral chemotherapy drug that is making life easier for patients - but difficult to get covered because it is not seen as a medical benefit, but as a prescription.

And to answer the question you might ask . . .
No, we do not spend $5,500 for a 42-day course of Temodar like the gentleman in the article. Our Blue Cross HMO has treated us very well. Thank goodness for insurance!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that another round went well.
Now, Carolyn you have to relax and take care of yourself.
Love,

Catherine B.

Anonymous said...

Don't I know it. I'm getting my masters in public health and every week is a new round of insurance coverage or lack thereof woes. I am so glad to hear you all have good insurance. I really hope Obama's plan comes through...
Glad to hear all Reibels are enjoying a few weeks off! Can't wait to see you in June! Elisabeth.