Friday, July 10, 2009

Upon further review . . .

. . . all is well!

Rosalie's doctors (the neuro-radiologist, her neuro-oncologist, and her radiation oncologist) gave us this news after they had reviewed the scans together as a team.

That's really all we need to say, but if you want a few more details keep reading.
_________________________________________________________
Earlier this morning we learned that the PET scan did show an "anomaly," or an area of higher metabolic activity. The important question was whether or not this anomaly matched up with the anomaly on Rosalie's MRI.

Her doctors say that these do not match up. This means that the area that "lit up" on Rosalie's MRI is not metabolically active - meaning not cancerous.

The recommendation is to continue with her regularly scheduled MRIs of the brain and spine every three months.

But now we also have this anomaly from the PET scan to think about. The anomaly is small, 8mm, and is located left of center in the thoracic region. It might indicate a bruise, a virus, bacteria - any number of things. They asked us if she has been sick recently because this might indicate viral or bacterial activity. We will talk to the oncologists next week to see if she needs another PET/CT scan in the future to see if this spot is still there. They did not sound overly concerned about this spot, but did indicate that we should consider following up. For now we are just celebrating.

I think this episode is a reminder of how difficult is can be to diagnose what is going on in the body. I'm also reminded that the more you seek the more you'll find.

Thanks for being a part of our team.

Now we'll take a deep breath and let the summer begin!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SO happy and SO relieved! I have been watching your site all day hoping for this news. I hope this is the beginning of a wonderful summer....

Keri Magee

Anonymous said...

We will celebrate with you!
Are these spots some glitch from the scanner?
You get more than you want to know.
Good weekend after this reassuring news
Catherine B

Britta said...

Great news - I'm so happy to read today's post - I've been waiting with baited breath!

Britta

p.s. I met Teddy on Thursday at Sweetpeas - Susannah was SO proud to introduce her baby brother to Mats! You truly have a beautiful family.

Keri said...

I am really happy to read this. What great news. Enjoy the summer with your beautiful family!

Keri and Jackson

Sarah Woulfin said...

Hooray--let the summer fun begin :>

Betsy Tomlinson and Peter Sillin said...

Hooray - now you can focus on some summer fun.

Let me know if you'll be on the East Coast at all!

Unknown said...

Hip hip hooray for Rosalie! Hope you all have a fabulous summer!

love, gwen

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to read that she is on the right way to health!!! I didn't have the chance to' say personally congratulation for Theo, i really would love to find the way to' come visit you while i'm in Boston but i'm at the congress all day long! I send you all a big kiss and so much love!!! Chiara

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! Thank you for keeping us informed.

Love,

The Ellmans

Kristin Rude said...

Thank goodness! Be well, Rosalie!

Mike Berendt

Anonymous said...

Wonderful wonderful news!
We are uncorking the bubbly and raising our glasses to ALL the Reibels and their wonderful family and friends. Way to go Rosalie! C & W

Kate Ondrejko said...

Hooray! Enjoy the summer and new baby Teddy :)

Bekah said...

Phewwww! What a relief! I wanted to ask you about it last night, but didn't think it was the right place. So happy to hear this news, yeah!

Oneplusoneplusoneequalsthree said...

Summer Lovin'.....

Anonymous said...

You haven't blogged in a while... I hope you're enjoying the new baby!

Anonymous said...

Great news, we're very happy to read!! Best to the family. xoxo Jenn & Rob

Anonymous said...

No news since July, hope the family is happy and healthy! Missing the updates.....Much love.

Anonymous said...

Please Update! :(