Saturday, March 20, 2010

Winter Fun

This year we have been able to go up to Tahoe twice. Both times we have been able to go with friends who have children around the same ages as our kids. It is always so much fun to see the kids growing up together.

Now that Rosalie is five she is eligible for the adaptive program at Alpine that is run through Disabled Sports USA. It is a great organization that helps people with disabilities find a way to participate in virtually any sport.

It occurs to me that those of you who read our blog might not realize that Rosalie's motor skills are quite compromised from the surgery she had back in 2006. People who see us all the time in San Francisco know how difficult ambulation has been for Rosalie - but over the summer I saw someone who didn't realize that Rosalie had so many motor skill deficits. From pictures it can be hard to tell. The main issue for Rosalie is her balance. She is a total trooper and gives her all to her many therapies (PT, OT, and Speech). We see progress all the time even though it is slow. But she cannot stand independently without holding someone's hand or using her walker. The difficulty she has had with ambulation is part of why it was so special to see her on skis.

Mark loves snowboarding and I love skiing - to see both our girls enjoy their time on the mountain was "a dream come true," as I told Susannah when we were going up the lift together. And Teddy - well - all he has to do is smile and it breaks my heart.

Hope you enjoy the photos.



Susannah and Sidney with their snowman

Susannah reading to Teddy and Edison

Teddy loves his big buddy Edison

Rosey and Susannah with Sidney
They were pretending that Sidney was an egg who kept hatching in the nest - they thought this was hilarious


Susannah and Mark on her first day of ski school



Rosalie riding the chair lift

Rosalie coming down the mountain

Rosalie coming to rescue "Pinky" the stuffed donkey who had fallen off the chair lift

Smiles from the skiier

Teddy and Carolyn Barber

Susannah after her first day of ski school - very proud and happy :)

Our family

Levi and Izze
Izze belongs to our friends the Ericksons.
Levi and Izze are half-brother and sister - they have the same father and a different mother.

Susannah with Madeline and Josie Erickson

The girls in their "choo choo train" with Jillian and Will Fischer
Rosalie, Jillian, and Will were all born at UCSF the same week in 2004

12 comments:

fibby said...

You officially have the most adorable family ever. Thanks for sharing these photos - LOVE that the girls are already ski bunnies. :-) Much love to all...

somebody said...

what fantastic winter fun pictures!! looks like everyone had a great time!

Casey Fyffe said...

OH my gosh -- SKI pics. I love it! The girls look like they were having a blast. Awesome awesome awesome.

Sarah Woulfin said...

Terrific pix of your family's ski trip! Sending hugs.....

Unknown said...

Great skying vacations!
The Reibels take it to the slopes.
Wish I could be there

Paula said...

everyone looks badass! That picture of teddy & carolyn is cute overload. So proud of the girls!

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! What a beautiful family you have.....

Keri Magee

Anonymous said...

Wow- so cool to see Rosalie and Susannah hit the slopes!!

love,
Ashley

Karen said...

We're in for next year! We did a day trip to Sugar Bowl last Sat., to get one more day in, 50s and sunny. Alpine 2011! Hugs

Unknown said...

What a wonderful dream to come true! I love Rosy and Susannah's matching ski suits and Teddy's smile.

I wish you lived closer so we could all ski together!

Love,

Carrie Gilbert

Keri said...

Ok, the picture of Rosalie on skis has just brought me to uncontrollable tears. I LOVE it!!! Jackson has similar motor issues and never in a million years did I imagine he could ski. I was raised in a big ski family and this is just really really cool to see- She's awesome!
Hope all is well with you guys,
With love,
Keri and Jackson

Unknown said...

Oh my, it's been a while since I've read your blog, and here I was thinking no news is good news. I was saddened to read of Mark's mom passing and I am just now learning of it. We are so very sorry for your loss and for not knowing sooner.

While I read of your family loss, I was also happy to read of the great strides with regard to family vacations, birthday parties and skiing You have a beautiful family and those kids all look so happy!

xoxo
Jenn & Rob