Hooray! We received good news today at UCSF. The scan looks clear.
Rosalie did so well at the hospital. They were running behind schedule and she was so patient and agreeable as we waited for the nurse to call her name. She was also incredibly inquisitive about her MRI this time around. She wanted to know what was going to happen, why they needed to do it, why she couldn't wear anything with glitter on it. It was nice to see her asking such appropriate questions.
Three cheers for Rosalie!
12 comments:
Fantastic!!!! Look out Kinderkids, here comes Rosie....Love you guys, Uncle Paul
What great news! I am so happy for you!
Meryl
so happy to hear great news !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you have no idea how much i am missing you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hurray My sweet Rosie !!!!!!
Saraly-
Yay!!! Great news! I'm going to jump into Alford Lake this afternoon to celebrate! :-)
Yay yay yay for Rosie!
Next Monday is a big day!
xoxox
Woohoo! With Rosie's twinkle in her eye, who needs glitter!
One more behind you, go Rosalie.
She is an amazing girl, I am wondering when the doctors will try a MRI without anesthesia...
ANYWAY, BEST WISHES TO THE NEW KINDERGARTEN STUDENT!
Catherine Braunstein
Mrs. Braunstein,
Always so nice to see you follow Rosalie's blog! You are awesome.
To answer your question about MRIs without anesthesia, I can tell you this. . . UCSF Children's Hospital staffs their anesthesiology department under the assumption that children six and under will require anesthesia for scans such as an MRI that take a good deal of time and require one to stay still. I have asked anesthesiologists this question about when Rosalie might try to do one without anesthesia. At the age of seven it is worth a shot. HOWEVER, Rosalie has a few things against her favor when it comes to doing one without anesthesia. First, she has no fear around receiving anesthesia - the mask does not scare her, she does not get anxious sitting on the gurney, she is completely used to the experience. A child who is doing their first MRI at the age of seven might rather try to stay still and bear the noise of the MRI than go under anesthesia.
Second, Rosalie's MRIs are very long - almost two hours - because she always has scans of the brain AND spine. A scan of the brain is about forty-five minutes. But the full scan of the brain AND spine is almost two hours. Since Rosalie had recurrence of her tumor in her spine in June 08 they will always check her spine to make sure everything is okay. With a child who has not had evidence of tumor in the spine they would just alternate between scans of the brain and scans of the brain AND spine. I simply cannot imagine her staying still for two hours.
Time will tell.
I once heard an anesthesiologist trying to convince a thirteen-year-old to consider starting his scans without anesthesia and his mother quickly chimed in. She said that he had done one awake and his neurologist could not read the scan because he had been wiggling too much the whole time. Poor guy.
Bye for now,
Carolyn
So great! I can't wait to see photos of the first day of school!
I just cried tears of joy! Rosalie is such an amazing human, and she has the most remarkable role models in her family. You all are so inspirational!! Kindergarten, here comes ROSALIE!!
Oh, and thanks for the photo credit! ;)
Yay! Rosalie! This is such wonderful news! Can't wait to hear how her first day was! Made my day. So happy for you all. You have such a BEAUTIFUL family! Hope she has a FUN year in kindergarten!
love
Robyn and David
I couldn't be happier!!!! Great news! Kindergarten, clean scans, birthdays..... Glad all is well.
Love,
Keri Magee
Post a Comment